CleanEdge’s Made History on 1st Annual Youth Summit on Environment
10th July marked the 1st Annual National Youth Summit on Environment hosted by CleanEdge Exclusive Solutions CESDEV, 20 Awolowo Avenue, Old Bodija Ibadan, Oyo State. It was attended by over 200 participants comprising of young leaders from different parts of Nigeria. The main aim of the summit was to bring young people working towards addressing environmental challenges in Nigeria while building their network in the environmental space. The summit, which was organized to build the capacity of young people in tapping into opportunities in Environmental Space had in attendance several advocates for safe environment, most notably of them was Professor Oladele Osibanjo who delivered the keynote address at the end of which he was honoured with a standing ovation.
- DEPSA – Development Practice Students Association
- CESDEV – Centre for Sustainable Development
- SDG Youth Nigeria
- Nigeria Network of NGOs (NNNGOs)
- Ibadan Volunteers Hub
- NextGen Africa Initiative
- WestAfrica ENRG
Prof. Oladele Osibanjo
- Olawale Olayide (Research Fellow and Sub-dean at Centre for Sustainable Development, University of Ibadan)
- Tunde Agboola (Founder of Sunplus Energy System Ltd)
- Gboyega Olurunfemi (Founder of Enviromax Global Resources Limited)
- Kayode Alabi (Founder of Kayfactor Leadership and Career Academy (KLCA))
- Joshua Alade ( Youth Social Worker of NexGen Africa Initiative)
- Atinuke Lebile ( Co-Founder of CATO Foods)
- Emmanuel Falude ( Serial Entrepreneur and Leading voice in Environmental Space)
- Adewole Taiwo ( Executive Director RecyclePoints Nigeria and Executive Director of WasteAid Nigeria)
- Pelumi Aribisala (Vibrant Sustainable Agriculture Expert)
- Mike Oladipo (Founder and CEO of Heros Nation)
The keynote address was given by Prof. Oladele Osibanjo on the role of young people in providing solutions to environmental challenges. He spoke about the power young people have in influencing political decisions, stating that it is important to ask politicians what their agenda is for the environment. He further mentioned that the action of CleanEdge Solution is timely as he emphasized the environmental challenges in Nigeria such as industrial pollution, chemical and oil pollution, flood and erosion, land degradation, weak environmental governance system, inadequate pollution control regulation and the impact it has on the health and environment. He said that waste is a valuable resource for the right place and also a valuable resource for the future. The speaker ended the address by encouraging the youth to act now and further stating that the environment is our legacy and we must not degrade it.
FIRST PANEL SESSION
Topic: Volunteerism in Environmental Space, Building a Research Career in Environmental Sector, Role of Volunteerism in Career Building
SECOND PANEL SESSION
Topic: Climate Smart Buildings, Tapping in Recycling Opportunities, Sustainable Agriculture, The Role of perseverance in Entrepreneurship and Tapping into Renewable Energy Opportunities.
KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF THE SUMMIT
- Opportunities to collaborate and work with like minds
- Better education on waste reduction, proper waste disposal and recycling techniques
- Build capacity for young entrepreneurs to solve water issues in the state
- Mentor-Mentee Opportunities for participants
- Funding for climate-smart businesses
- Internship/Work experience opportunities
- Foster partnership among different sectors in the environmental space and other sectors
- Promote the role of youth groups, policy makers. Civil society and the media in environmental practice
SOCIAL MEDIA ENGAGEMENT AND REACH
QUOTES AND FEEDBACK FROM PANELISTS AND PARTICIPANTS
From @taiwoadewole: It was great time speaking at the 1st National Youth Summit Environment organized by @Tpaeyne @CleanEdgeng in Ibadan. It was great opportunity for youths to tap into the waste recycling business and intiatives
From @aremuoropo: Glad to have participated and moderated a panel session today @CleanEdgeng’s Youth Summit on Environment today. Great people and quality engagement. Collaboration is the new competition.
From Chinonso Onwunali: The summit opened me up to diverse opportunities that can be tapped into. My take home from the summit will help me in starting up and creating a sustainable model for my social enterprise.
1stannualyouthsummit2018 advocacy business opportunities Cleanedge CleanEdge Solutions climate change environment nigeria waste opportunity oyo state waste management summit Recycling services saveibadancampaign wasteinnigeria Wastes in ibadan Wastes solutions youth in environment youth in ibadan